Losing fat from your legs, hips, butt or thighs can be difficult when you don’t know where to start, and it is impossible to choose which parts of the body you would like to lose fat from first, as fat distribution is determine largely by genetics. For women, there can be an even bigger incentive to lose weight from the leg region – and that is the elimination of cellulite which is a prevalent condition in women and commonly appears on your legs and butt.
Luckily, the legs contain some of the easiest muscles to train, and thus with the help of a healthy diet, full body workout, and leg specific toning exercises, you should be able to zap that fat in no time flat.
Keep in mind that in order to be successful in any new fitness routine, you must maintain a healthy diet – essentially taking in fewer calories than you are burning off each day. This is why a full body workout is important – cardiovascular exercise is imperative in raising your metabolism to a high enough level that it is possible to burn off stored fat.
- Get enough sleep. One thing to monitor and keep in mind is the amount of sleep you are getting each night. Getting enough sleep is important when looking to lose or maintain weight for two reasons. First, if you’re up late then you’re likely engaging in some late-night snacking which will increase your daily caloric intake. Secondly, when a person is sleep deprived, biochemical changes take place within the body altering hormone levels that control hunger and appetite. These changes make it more difficult to feel full after eating as well as increasing hunger itself. Most people’s bodies operate most efficiently on about eight hours of sleep per night.
- Do 30 minutes of cardio 5 times per week. Participating in 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity at least 5 times per week is imperative in boosting your metabolism to a high enough level to be able to burn off stored fat. Try running, jogging, walking, rollerblading, biking or any other type of workout that gets your heart pumping and your legs moving. When you’ve completed at least 30 minutes, its time to begin your leg toning exercises.
- Try calf raises. A calf raise is a type of exercise that focuses on the back of your legs. These raises can be done on your own with dumbbells or on a machine at the gym. Stand upright with your two dumbbells (start with a low weight and work you way up) in your hands. Raise your body up slowly to a tiptoe position – when you’re up as high as you can go – begin to lower yourself back down. Repetitions of 10-12 are most beneficial when beginning your fitness routine.
- Do some squats. Squats are highly recommended by fitness professionals as they are highly effective in eliminating unwanted leg fat. Just like the calf raises, these can be done at home or in the gym. Keep your back straight with your knees shoulder length apart while you lower your body down until your knees are at a 90 degree angle. Once you’ve hit 90 degrees, then slowly bring yourself back up to your starting position. It’s important that you feel the strain in your thighs and gluteal muscles and not your knees. 12-15 repetitions should be a good beginning pace, working your way up as you progress in your fitness.
- Integrate a forward lunge. The forward lunge targets the gluteal muscle while also tightening and toning hips and thighs. To begin, stand upright and step forward with one foot. Bend your knees until you’ve reached a 90 degree angle, and them slowly come back up. Repeat with the other foot. Make sure that your front knee never goes past your toes.
- Try a leg lift. Popular in Pilates classes, this classic move can help you trim your inner and your outer thighs. The motion is simple – just lie on your side with legs extended. Slowly raise your top leg to about the height of your hip, flexing your toe on the way up. Slowly raise it down and release your toe. Try about 10-15 repetitions to start, and then switch to the other leg.
- Switch to the stairs. Just 10 minutes on the stairs will burn 65 calories, so switching to the stairs instead of taking the elevator could help you trim those legs in no time. Take them one at a time if you’d like to work your calves, or take them two or three at a time to sculpt your thighs and lift your butt. Mix it up for a full leg workout without even leaving the office.
Follow these bullet points and you should be well on your way to burning leg fat fast, paying special heed to your diet and sleeping habits as well as your new fitness routine. As always, you should consult with your doctor before starting any new fitness routine to ensure that you will not aggravate an existing injury or condition.